Objective. Analysis of collective experience and literature data on distance education (DE) in surgery.
Material and methods. The work was carried out on the analysis of data from 104 doctors' profiles (67 completed distance learning courses and 37 full-time). Courses were evaluated according to the following criteria: accessibility, quality of illustrations, cost, time spent on completing courses. The results of the final test control were also taken into account. The data obtained were processed by the method of variation statistics with the assessment of the evidence using the Student's t-test.
Results. When assessing the availability of distance and full-time forms of training, 21 (57%) doctors among those who completed full-time studies and 54 (81%) doctors among those who completed DE. Of completed DE 62 (93%) doctors note the convenience of obtaining material, the ability to study information with repeated access to the material and comfortable planning time. All DE-students noted that the duration of work with each page of the lecture was 2.0±0.2 minutes, while full-time cadets spent 1.2±0.1 minutes on each slide within the time allotted (p<0.05) Each doctor spent only the cost of courses (about 4000 rubles) to complete the 36-hour cycle, and for the full-time course, the costs ranged from 6 to 8.5 thousand rubles (4000±0 against 7800±800, depending on the place of residence; p<0.05). The time spent on mastering the course was up to 32.6±1.2 hours for the cadet, and 48.4±2.3 hours for the full-time students (p<0.05). The quality index of theoretical knowledge according to the results turned out to be in the DE group 4.2±0.3, and in the group of full-time students – 3.5±0.1 points (p<0.05).
Conclusion. Thus, we see an emerging positive trend in the training of surgeons at the stage of continuous medical education. The authors state the problems of DE in surgery, outline ways to solve these problems, although they depend not only on those who provide the educational process, but also require serious pedagogical, administrative and legislative activities.
- Киясов А.П., Гумерова А.А., Рашитов Л.Ф., Хасанова Р.Н., Киясова Е.В. Технологии приобретения компетенций при подготовке врача (опыт Казанского федерального университета). Медицинское образование и профессиональное развитие. 2017; 4: 57–64. DOI: 10.24411/2220-8453-2017-00019 [Kiyasov A.P., Gumerova A.A., Rashitov L.F., Khasanova R.N., Kiyasova E.V. Technologies for acquiring competencies in the preparation of a doctor (experience of the Kazan Federal University). Medical Education and Professional Development. 2017; 4: 57–64. DOI: 10.24411/2220-8453-2017-00019 (in Russ.).]
- Aryal K.R., Pereira E. Learning in Surgery. J. Indian J. Surg. 2014; 76 (6): 487–93. DOI: 10.1007/s12262-014-1092-8
- Концепция Российского общества хирургов (РОХ) по формированию системы обучения в ординатуре по специальности «Хирургия». http://www.общество-хирургов.рф/publikaci/ordinaturapo-hirurgi.html (дата обращения 03.03.2020) [The concept of Russian society of surgeons on the formation of a residency training system in the specialty “Surgery”. Available at: http://www.общество-хирургов.рф/publikaci/ordinatura-pohirurgi.html (accessed March 03, 2020) (in Russ.).]
Bhattacharya S. Journal club and post-graduate medical education. Indian J. Plast. Surg. 2017; 50 (3): 302–5. DOI: 10.4103/ijps. IJPS_222_17
- Киян И.В. Варианты контроля знаний в системе дистанционного обучения. Сибирский педагогический журнал. 2010; 12: 52–8. [Kiyan I.V. Options for the control of knowledge in the system of distance learning. Siberian Pedagogical Journal. 2010; 12: 52–8. (in Russ.).]
- Организация контроля знаний при дистанционном обучении. http://studik.net/organizaciya-kontrolya-znanij-pri-distancionnom-obuchenii (дата обращения 02.03.2020). [Organization of knowledge control in distance learning. Available at: http://studik.net/organizaciya-kontrolya-znanij-pri-distancionnom-obuchenii (accessed March 02, 2020) (in Russ.).]
- Vaona A., Koren R., Kwag H., Rigon G., Cereda D., Pecoraro V., Tramacere I., Moja L. E-learning for health professionals. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; 2018 (1): CD011736. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD011736.pub2
- Mattheos N., Janda M.S., Attstro ¨m R., Lyon H. Distance learning in academic health education: A literature review. Eur. J. Dent. Ed. 2001; 5: 67–76. DOI: 10.1034/j.1600-0579.2001.005002067.x
About the authors
- Aleksandr G. Butyrskiy, Cand. Med. Sc., Associate Professor, orcid.org/0000-0001-5415-3756;
- Sergey S. Khil’ko, Cand. Med. Sc., Associate Professor, orcid.org/0000-0003-1721-4964;
- Oleg V. Bobkov, Cand. Med. Sc., Associate Professor, orcid.org/0000-0003-2501-0870;
- Ivan I. Fomochkin, Cand. Med. Sc., Associate Professor, orcid.org/0000-0001-9358-7370;
- Irina B. Butyrskaya, Cand. Med. Sc., Associate Professor, orcid.org/0000-0002-4283-2572